Monday, July 03, 2006

Fine International Fare



Paradise Now depicts a life I haven't see in movies very often - that of Palestinians in the occupied West Bank. Two friends...



...Khaled is impulsive and funny while Said is quiet and thoughtful - work together at a small, auto repair shop. Suha, a young woman...



...with an interest in Said enters the scene and I find myself settling back for an enjoyable, easy-going character study. It's not long before things change, and I am in the grip of an intense political thriller. As events twist and turn, and more insight into the characters is revealed, my emotions shift and evolve with each new revelation until without realizing it, I am rooting for the unthinkable...



The plot goes to the only place it can go, a deeply sad and disappointing place, a place no one should have to go and yet, go there they do, again and again and again.

Awesome movie.




A French remake of the early 70s James Toback feature - Fingers. A young guy involved in criminal real estate shenanigans, is inspired to try to resurrect the concert piano talents he exhibited as a boy. His growing dedication to preparing for his audition, his constant playing and listening to music, shapes him, effects his desires, his morals, and leads him to question his life...



I haven't seen the original so I can't compare. But this was a great, solid drama with a wonderful soundtrack. Check it out...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home